Cobourg Police Introduce the Youth in Policing Initiative
The project is a partnership between the Cobourg Police Services Board and the Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services
Local youths are employed by the Cobourg Police Service and then fulfill a number of functions in the community, from helping with children's programs at the local library, to cleaning up the town's parks after large community events are held such as Waterfront Festival, Rib Fest, etc.
"The objective of this program is to help police and our youths in our community to better interact with each other," said Cobourg Police Chief Kai Liu. "At the same time, youth are given opportunities to work in our community in many different community centres and organizations. The kids will be challenged to work with groups of individuals that they normally wouldn't associate with."
Criteria needed to be considered for the YIPI program:
- Applicants must reside within the Town of Cobourg or go to school in Cobourg
- Must be students between the ages of 15 and 18 years of age
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada
- Must be returning to secondary school in September 2019
- Must not have been convicted of a criminal offence or have any charges pending before the courts
- Must not have previously participated in any YIPI program
Want to become a YIPI? Apply now! Download the form or attend the Cobourg Police Station. Completed applications may be submitted in person at the Cobourg Police Station or by mail with your resume and cover letter. Email submissions WILL NOT be accepted.
107 King Street West, Cobourg, Ontario K9A 2M4