The Town of Cobourg and the Cobourg Police work together to ensure that anyone conducting business in this fashion are legitimate agencies by having them comply with the Town By-Law known as the “Itinerant Vendors By-Law 005-2015” . Generally this by-law states that:
"No person shall carry on any trade, business or occupation as an Itinerant Vendor within the Town unless that person has first obtained a valid Licence from the Municipal Clerk."
When such license is granted, the Town notifies the police to ensure that the public is aware that a particular agency is legitimate and the length of time that they will be in Town.
Should you be confronted with anyone at your door that makes you feel uncomfortable, please ask them to leave and call the police. When confronted with someone at your door seeking to inspect your furnace, hot water tank, etc., ask them to leave you with the information and if you are interested, you can call back.Please refer to The Little Black Book of Scams, available on our website or through this link
Break and enters are all too common occurrences that, with some careful planning, can be minimized in our communities:
1. Let trusted neighbours know if you will be away (vacations, etc.)
2. Install dead bolt locks on exterior doors and a good sized peephole to identify visitors.
3. Secure all windows when away from your home (basement, ground level, patio).
4. Keep your garage door closed and locked.
5. Leave lights on and a radio playing when you are out.
6. Give your home a "lived in look” with automatic timers (for lights and TV's)
7. Trim all shrubs and trees so doors and windows are in clear view.
8. Have mail, newspapers, etc. picked up when you are away.
9. Have lawns cut or snow removed when you are away.
10. Never leave keys under flower pots, doormats, inside mailboxes, or in other secret places. Burglars know them all.
11. Know what is happening in your neighbourhood. If you notice anything suspicious, call the police immediately.
12. Leave a vehicle parked in driveway to appear as if you are home.