Cobourg was once a "Police Village" and the heritage of policing, being the number one priority for the citizens, of Ontario's Feel Good Town hasn't changed since.
The original Board of Police was instituted in 1834 and this Board was incorporated as the Town of Cobourg in 1837. Law enforcement in the early years was entrusted to a High Constable, appointed by the district magistrates, who could recruit deputies as a particular need arose. By 1898, the Chief of Police and the Fire Chief, Mr. John C. Ruse, made his office in the west wing of Victoria Hall.
The current Cobourg Police Service building was originally known as "The Armouries" building. It was purchased by the Town of Cobourg and turned into the town police station in 1971.
|Edwin Cooney||1860 - 1872|
|William Rankin||1872 - 1898|
|John C Ruse||1898 - 1936|
|William J Carey||1936 - 1950|
|Harold Pearce||1950 - 1970|
|Eugene Butler||1970 - 1982|
|Daniel K McDougal||1982 - 1996|
|John Kay||1996 - 2002|
|Kyle Foster (Acting)||2002 - 2003|
|Garry W Clement||2003 - 2007|
|Paul Sweet||2007 - 2012|
|Kai Liu||2012 - Present|