Welcome to the Cobourg Police Criminal Record Check Service™
(Please Read the Following Notices Carefully)
"The Cobourg Police Services Board has approved a fee exemption with respect to volunteer criminal record checks, for residents of the Town of Cobourg.
In order to take advantage of this, applicants are required to attend the Cobourg Police Service in person with a letter from the volunteer organization.
Online applications will NOT be covered under the fee exemption. All normal, applicable fees will still apply.”
The Cobourg Police Service can only complete a Vulnerable Sector Screening for residents of the City of Cobourg.
If you are a non resident of the City of Cobourg you must make this application to the police service that is responsible for policing in your jurisdiction.
If through the process of completing the Criminal Record & Vulnerable Sector Screening request, the Cobourg Police Service determines the home address given is outside the City of Cobourg they will process and complete the Criminal Record Check as requested and charge you accordingly.
However, this screening request will NOT include the Vulnerable Sector Screening. Cobourg Police will notify you in this regard at the time you attend to pick up the Criminal Record Check.
NO REFUNDS WILL BE PROVIDED.
Two pieces of identification are mandatory, and must be provided at pick up, in order to have a background check processed as follows:
- The first (primary) piece of ID must be from the following list of government issued photo ID:
- Driver's Licence (Issued by Canadian province or territory)
- Foreign Driver's Licence
- Canadian Passport
- Foreign Passport
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident (PR) Card
- Certificate of Indian Status
- Student Identity Card from a Foreign Institute
- Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)
- Canadian National Institute of the Blind (CNIB) Identification card
- Federal, Provincial or Municipal Identification Card
- Military Family Card (MFID)
- The second piece of ID can be any piece of identification as long as the name on the ID is the same as the name on the first piece of government issued photo ID.
Do you need a Criminal Background Check (CBC) for employment or volunteer purposes?
CBCs are often requested by individuals who wish to work or volunteer for an organization that requires a Criminal Background Check prior to employment. CBC information may include:
- Criminal record information
- Information regarding current status of court cases where the applicant is an accused currently before the courts
Vulnerable Sector Screening
IMPORTANT: Please give careful consideration to completing the optional Part 3 (Consent For a Criminal Record Check and Disclosure For a Sexual Offence For Which a Pardon Has Been Granted or Issued) of the online form. It may be required if you are going to be working or volunteering in an area where you are in contact with vulnerable people. A vulnerable person is defined as a person who, because of their age, a disability, or other circumstances, whether temporary or permanent are:
- in a position of dependence on others, or
- are otherwise at a greater risk than the general population of being harmed by a person in a position of authority or trust relative to them.
Easy Two Step Process:
1. Complete the application online, and then pick up your completed Criminal Record Check:
Cobourg Police Headquarters, 107 King Street West, Cobourg, ON, K9A 2M4.
The Cobourg Police Service wants to help you simplify the Criminal Record Check application process. Using the online application, skip a trip to the Police Station to pick up the form, complete it and submit it.
The only time you’ll need to come into the Police Station is to pick up your finalized Criminal Record Check approximately 5 to 7 business days from form submission.
To submit an online Criminal Record Check request, click 'Start Application' to access the Criminal Record Check Request application. You can complete and submit your application within 5 minutes - it’s confidential, secure, convenient, accurate and available 24 hours a day – whenever you need it.
Use the completely secure online credit card payment system to pay for your application.
After you submit your application, you’ll automatically receive a request number.
Be sure to keep this number handy to use if you decide to check the status of your application or if you have any enquiries. A status check will only indicate whether the criminal background check is complete or not, no personal information will be available. The application review process usually takes about 5 - 7 business days.
When your Criminal Record Check is ready for pick up at the Police Station, you’ll be automatically notified.
Don’t forget to bring two pieces of photo ID, as stated in the Notice of Mandatory Identification Requirements, when you go to the Police Station to claim your final Criminal Record Check report. Note that applicants under 18 must have a parent/guardian attend.