From the 3rd of September 2018 through the 9th of September 2018, the Cobourg Police Service responded to 235 occurrences including: 7 Motor Vehicle Collisions, 8 Alarm calls, 13 Theft/Shoplifting calls, 10 Suspicious Persons/Vehicles calls, 6 Domestic/Family Disputes, 4 Mischief calls, and 7 Assault calls. Here are some examples of calls for service for the week:
- Police attended the Northumberland Mall for a report of a homeless male sleeping by one of the entrances. The male was spoken to and left the area without further incident.
- A female wished to report to police that she was being threatened by her ex-husband. After further police investigation it was determined no actual threats had been made and it was a dispute over child custody issues.
- Police responded to a King Street East address for a report of a suspected impaired driver observed by a bystander enter her vehicle while heavily intoxicated and begin to drive Eastbound on King Street East. Officers attended the area and were unable to locate the vehicle and therefore notified OPP as the vehicle may have left town. OPP later advised they had located the vehicle and arrested the female driver for Impaired Care or Control of a Motor Vehicle.
- Police attended a North end address for a report of harassment. The complainant indicated to officers that a friend had been making false accusations to her boss at work. The other female was spoken to and cautioned regarding harassment.
- A resident contacted police after observing what she believed were a homeless couple sleeping in Rotary Park after hours. Police spoke to the couple who were advised that being in the park after hours was in violation of the local by-law. The front lobby of the Cobourg Police Station was offered as place to stay to which the couple accepted.
- Paramedics requested police assistance at a North end residence after responding for a female suffering from a possible drug overdose. Police attended and stood by while the female was transported to hospital for further assessment.
- Police were called to an East end residence for a report of two bicycles being stolen from outside the residence sometime overnight. At this time there are no known suspects.
- A North end business contacted police to advise that sometime overnight unknown suspect(s) had spray painted red graffiti on an exterior wall of the business. Police continue to investigate.
- A downtown restaurant was broken into sometime overnight. A quantity of alcohol and approximately $800 in cash was stolen. Police continue to investigate.
- Officers conducted radar speed enforcement in various school zones throughout Cobourg during the school day. 16 Provincial Offence Notices were issued for speeding and various other offences under the Highway Traffic Act.
- Police were called to a local motel after receiving a report of a male unconscious in one of the rooms believed to have overdosed on an unknown substance. Officers attended and located the unresponsive male. Officers administered Narcan after which the male regained consciousness and was transported to hospital for further assessment.
- Police received a report of a missing elderly female from a West end residence. The female had not been seen for 2-3 days and her family was concerned for her wellbeing. Police conducted an extensive search and canvassed the female’s neighbourhood without success. Regrettably the female was located the following day deceased off the shore of Cobourg in Lake Ontario.
- Police attended the area of Peace Park for a report of fisherman fishing in the creek after 11:00pm when the park closes. Officers attended the park but were unable to locate anyone.
- A lone Northumberland OPP officer requested the assistance of Cobourg officers in Baltimore after responding to a motor vehicle collision. One of the occupants of the vehicle, who was intoxicated, began to cause a disturbance with the officer. Cobourg officers attended and rendered assistance to the OPP officer while they conducted their collision investigation.
- Police attended a residence for a report of a child custody dispute occurring on the front lawn of the residence with all involved parties yelling at one another. Police arrived on scene and managed to diffuse the situation. It was discovered that a male had become upset when his ex-girlfriend arrived and attempted to take their young daughter when it was not her weekend to have her. Police were able to mediate an agreement between all involved and there were no further issues.
- While on general patrol in the downtown core officers observed a motor vehicle commit a Highway Traffic Act offence. The vehicle was subsequently stopped and through further investigation it was determined the occupants of the vehicle were in possession of a controlled substance. Both individuals were arrested and the narcotics were seized.
- Police received a report of a stolen mountain bike from an address on Elgin Street West. At this time there are no known suspects.
- A local resident contacted police to report a possible domestic in the area of Victoria Park as the observed a female yelling at a male and waving her arms. Police attended and located the female who was practicing karate while the male filmed her. It was determined no domestic had taken place.