From the 29th of July 2019 through the 4th of August 2019, the Cobourg Police Service responded to 298 occurrences including: 18 Motor Vehicle Collisions, 5 Alarm calls, 20 Theft/Shoplifting calls, 34 Suspicious Persons/Vehicles calls, 10 Domestic/Family Disputes, 8 Mischief calls, 7 Assault calls, and 8 Mental Health calls. Here are some examples of calls for service for the week:
- Police investigated a theft from an unlocked motor vehicle outside a private residence. The Cobourg Police Service is reminding people not to leave anything of value in their vehicles and to keep your vehicle locked at all times.
- Police investigated a theft from a local business on Elgin Street where the sales person was distracted and an accomplice stole money from the cash register.
- A man was charged with Careless Driving under Section 130(1) of the Highway Traffic Act after a single vehicle collision at the intersection of University Avenue West and Ontario Street.
- Police investigated a mischief after a vehicle that was parked in the driveway of a private residence had the paint scratched and the tires flattened.
- Police investigated after a dog was reported being left inside a motor vehicle. The dog was found not to be in distress and the owner was located and spoken to. Police are advising the public not to leave their pets unattended in a vehicle during the summer months.
- Police investigated a theft in which a debit card was stolen from an unlocked vehicle and was subsequently used to make several purchases at various locations. The Cobourg Police Service is reminding people not to leave anything of value in their vehicles and to keep your vehicle locked at all times.
- Police investigated a break and enter at a private residence in which a safe containing money and documents was stolen.
- A woman was issued a trespass notice from a local business after she was caught shoplifting in the store.
- A woman was charged with being intoxicated in a public place after being found under the influence of alcohol on University Avenue West.
- Police responded to a domestic dispute in the downtown core involving a verbal argument between a man and a woman. The involved parties were separated for the evening.
- Police assisted in locating a missing child at Victoria beach. The child was successfully reunited with his/her parent.
- Police investigated an assault that occurred at Victoria beach after a man reported having an item thrown at him. A second man was cautioned regarding his actions after the complainant declined to pursue charges.
- Police ticketed and towed several vehicles from the Victoria Park area over the weekend for parking illegally.
- Cobourg Police, with the assistance of the Ontario Provincial Police Identification Unit, are currently investigating a robbery from a business on Strathy Road.