From the 25 of January 2016 through to the 31 of January 2016, the Cobourg Police Service responded to 147 occurrences including:
13 Motor Vehicle Collisions, 1 Theft reports, 1 Mischief incidents, 9 Alarm calls, 6 Frauds, and 4 Domestic disputes.
Here are some examples of calls for service for the week:
- Police attended 4 motor vehicle collisions in various locations in the Town of Cobourg. Police are reminding motorist to drive according to the weather conditions throughout the winter months. Traffic safety is everyone responsibility.
- Police responded to an assault call which was reported after the fact. The assault took place on Saturday the 23rd at Frank’s Bar and Grill in the east end of Cobourg where the victim was assaulted by a group of females. The police investigation is continuing.
• Police investigated a fraud call where a female altered her prescription and tried to have it filled at a local pharmacy on Division Street in Cobourg. The pharmacy staff immediately became suspicious and contacted the issuing doctor. It was confirmed that the prescription had been altered and police were notified. As a result a 27 year old female was charged by way of summons for uttering a forged document.
- Police attended a downtown business regarding a shoplifter call. As a result a 20 year old male was charged with theft and released on an appearance notice and he was trespassed from the business.
- Police responded to the area of Elgin Street and Strathy Road regarding a motor vehicle collision. As a result of the accident investigation one of the drivers was charged under the Highway Traffic Act.
- Police attended a domestic dispute in the area of George Street. The caller advised that he witnessed a male and female yelling at each other. Upon arrival police located both parties and it was determined that both were just having a verbal argument and no assaults had taken place.
- Police responded to a single motor vehicle collision in the area of Otto Drive. The vehicle lost control due to the weather and struck a pole. No injuries were sustained and police contacted a tow truck as the vehicle was not drivable.
- Police responded to a mental health call at an address on King Street West. As a result police apprehended a female under the mental health act and she was transported to the hospital from an assessment.
- Police Responded to a 911 hang up at the Lotus motel in Cobourg. Upon arrival police determined that there had been a problem with the phone line and the repair company was notified.
- Police responded to a motor vehicle collision in the area of Division Street and Veronica Street. As a result of the police investigation one of the drivers was charged with turn not in safety under the Highway Traffic Act.
- While on patrol police observed a vehicle travelling in the wrong direction on Orange Street. Police stopped the vehicle and the investigation revealed that the driver had consumed alcohol and was over the legal limit. As a result of the police investigation a 40 years old Cobourg residents was charged with having over 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 milliliters of blood in his body. The male was released on a promise to appear with a court date.
- Police responded to a theft of a purse from the bus stop at Walmart. The purse was turned in to Walmart staff and $380 was missing from the wallet. No suspects identified at this time.
- Police responded to an alarm to the Terry Fox School on Riddell Ave. Upon arrival police check the premise and determined that the alarm was false.
- Police responded to a suspicious person call in the downtown area. Information received that a male was seen attending all the banks in the downtown area. Police checked all the bank machines and determined that none of them had been tampered with.
The Cobourg Police are advising the public that there have been an increase in telephone and internet scams. Police are reminding people to be very careful with providing personal and banking information over the telephone and internet.
The Cobourg Police Service is noticing an increase in Motor vehicle collisions and are reminding motorist to be vigilant and drive according to the weather conditions.