*** We are currently not taking applications for this position. ***
To become an Auxiliary Officer one must:
- Be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident of Canada pursuant to the Police Services Act,
- Be between the ages of 18 and 65 years of age,
- Be established in a career,
- Be of good moral character and habits,
- Consent to a criminal record check and background investigation. This includes, but is not limited to: CPIC check, Records check, character references, professional references, and a fingerprint check.
- Be physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position.
- Be able to volunteer for shifts that include evenings, nights, weekends including holidays at any time of the year,
- Satisfactorily complete all tests, examinations and interviews, and receive approval of the Selection Committee,
- Possess a valid Ontario Driver’s Licence – Class G – with good driving record.
- Possess a current CPR and First Aid Certificate.
- Provide a letter from your regular employer acknowledging your desire to join to CPS Auxiliary Unit, and recognize that in cases of extreme emergency, your services may be immediately required,
- Be prepared to commit to the Auxiliary Unit for a minimum of five years.
Auxiliary officers are required to dedicate a minimum of 12 hours per month of Auxiliary duty. Officers are also able to volunteer their time with several other Units of the regular service.
Some units include:
- Marine Unit
- R.I.D.E. Program
- Search & Rescue
- General Vehicle Patrol
- Community Based Policing
- Emergency & Disaster Response
- Bike and ATV Patrol Canvassing
All members are qualified to the same level of training regardless of rank or position within the Unit. Upon successful completion of the Basic Auxiliary Training program, members will be familiar with and competent in the following areas:
- Defensive Tactics – Tactical Communication
- Use of Force
- Baton Training
- Firearms Training
- Pepper Spray Training
- The Criminal Code of Canada and other Statutes
- Powers of Arrest
- Inter-Departmental Computer System
How to Apply
Send us your resume and cover letter. As well, Request a Cobourg Police Service Auxiliary Application Form and a Cobourg Police Service Auxiliary Authorization for Release of Information:
Cobourg Police Service
107 King Street West
Send to the attention of Auxiliary Coordinator Please note that becoming an Auxiliary officer is not a means of joining the Cobourg Police Service.